Top 10 Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. You can see all the topics here.
I’ll be honest, I didn’t want to do this Top 10 Tuesday topic. I have lots of opinions about covers (see: here, here, and here), but coming up with cover trends was kind of hard for me. So I give you my kind of bizarre, probably not really trends, list of things I like and dislike on covers. I kept it to books I’ve read because otherwise it would be opening up a big can of worms.
1. Graphic, Big Fonts: I’m a big font junkie so it makes sense that I would be into these.
2. Faces that Take Up the Entire Cover: There’s something so intimate/haunting/intriguing about such a close up that it really draws me in.
3. Characters Wearing Nail Polish: I am a nail polish fiend and I absolutely love when nail polish pops up on book covers. It’s probably not what the designer wants, but it’s really want draws my eyes.
4. Covers That Look Like Art: Art is obviously subjective, like my choices here, but I think there’s something great about a cover you want to hang on your wall. (Remember when we did a Top 10 Tuesday topic about that?)
5. Different/Interesting: Leave specific category ever. This is kind of like what I find snarky/interesting/different/creative/etc.
6. Movement: Movement is so hard to capture in a picture, but it’s also so important, especially to YA books when there’s often a lot of growth and change.
7. Cartoons: Cartoon covers in YA or adult books are just too juvenile for me. I can put up with Rainbow Rowell’s, but otherwise I am not a fan.
8. Almost Kissing: Seriously just the worst. Stop it with this.
9. Disembodied Body Parts: So creepy. I can’t stand that Nearly Gone cover.
10. Sideways Fonts: This is a leftover thing from when I worked in book publishing and B&N was very anti-sideways font and hating it got drilled into me.
One-Year Ago: Top 10 Tuesday: Books I’ve Read So Far in 2013