(The spacing in most of this post is weird, I’m sorry, I spent a while trying to fix it, but couldn’t do it so it is what it is!)
It’s time for the next week in the Gayle Forman Read Along! Next up is Where She Went, which is not only my favorite Gayle book, but also one of my all-time favorite books. I’ve read Where She Went several times, but I’m excited to be re-reading it and excited to see what other people think (unless they don’t like it, then I’m plugging my ears and ignoring what they say ). This month is hosted by Alexa at Alexa Loves Books, you can see her initial post about the Where She Went read along here.
1. Adam has changed a lot since we last saw him in If I Stay. Any guesses as to what happened between him and Mia? Him and the band? In his personal life? What do you think of the “new” Adam we find in the first chapter?
Since I’ve read the book before I’m going to skip all the guess questions. My heart just aches for the new Adam. I think he’s still the same great guy we saw in If I Stay, but with everything that happened with Mia, and then his band exploding, life just kind of got away from him. I don’t think that’s an excuse for some of his bad behavior and he could certainly be dealing with everything better, but mostly I’m just sad for him (because I am 100% in love with him!).
2. How do you feel about Mia’s determination to go to Julliard right away, instead of deferring for a year? Do you think it was the right decision for her to immediately leave the familiar, the scene of her greatest trauma and grief and head to an unfamiliar, new place?
I think Mia’s determination to go to Julliard totally goes along with her personality. I don’t know if I would have thought it was the right decision at the time, but it seemed to work out well for her so who am I to judge (just kidding, most of the time I love judging).
3. What do you think of Mia and Adam’s first reunion after three years?
I think it’s so them. It’s a weird coincidence, it’s kind of fate, and it’s super awkward. The first time I read it I’m pretty sure I was like “OMG OMG OMG, WHAT’S GOING TO HAPPEN?!?!” but now I’m mostly happen to see them together again.
4. Grief strikes people different, as we see Adam grieving when he and Mia break up. Have you ever experienced the same intensity of grief? How did you survive it or move on from it? What do you think of Kim’s role in helping Adam snap out of his grief?
I don’t think I have ever experienced that level of grief (wanted: soul mate) thankfully. I love everything about Kim, she’s such a bad ass. I think her role with Adam totally fits her personality and I like that her and Adam have continued to have some kind of relationship after they were, sadly, brought together by Mia’s family’s accident.
5. Song lyrics can sometimes describe our feelings about situations completely, as Adam’s lyrics for the songs on the Collateral Damage album describe his feelings after Mia dumped him. What are some song lyrics that describe feelings you’ve had or memories?
I LOVE this question and I wish I wasn’t doing this at the last minute so I had more time to think. I’m a big song lyric person. But here are some favorites:
- ”I was scared, I was scared / Tired and underprepared / But I’ll wait for it” – In My Place by Coldplay
- ”Whatever the mess you are / You’re mine, ok” – Challengers by The New Pornographers (Adam actually mentions this song later in the book, another reason I love this book!)
- ”Where you invest your love / You invest your life” – Awake My Soul by Mumford and Sons (I actually want to get a tattoo of these lyrics but I think that might be douchey)
- ”I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to fly” – Fly by Nicki Minaj (lame, but I love that song)
- “And I don’t know how it is I still feel like a kid / And these working clothes feel like a costume” – All That I See by The Alternate Routes
- “I thought I was smart / I thought I was right / I thought it better not to fight / I thought there was a virtue in always being cool” – Fight Test by The Flaming Lips
- “When my blood runs warm with the warm red wine / I miss the life that I left behind” – The Longer I Run by Peter Bradley Adams
- “But I know I have a fickle heart and a bitterness / And a wandering eye and a heaviness in my head” – Don’t You Remember by Adele
- “And I am a writer, writer of fictions / I am the heart that you call home” – Engine Drive by The Decembrists
I could keep going, but I think nine is enough!
Great questions this week! Are you participating in the Gayle Forman read along? Have you read Where She Went? You can also find the full schedule for the read along (we’re doing one a book per month) on Brittany’s blog