There are few things I love more than end of the year lists. Seriously. I’ve been looking forward to this survey all year and I am so glad that Jamie is once again hosting it! (See her post for more info.) If you did a survey leave me the link, I would love to check it out!
Number Of Books You Read: 193 (so far!)
Number of Re-Reads: I don’t really keep track of re-reads, probably 10-15.
Genre You Read The Most From: Young adult contemporary (obviously!)
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
Favorite 2014 release: After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Favorite backlist book: The Piper’s Son by Melina Marchetta
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Pointe by Brandy Colbert, I didn’t even finish it! Don’t know what happens and I don’t care.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
The Good Sister by Jamie Kain, in a very good way! I wish more people would read this book!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Melina Marchetta (just like Columbus “discovered” America…)
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
A Girl Called Fearless by Catherine Linka
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Travis from Noggin by John Corey Whaley
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Anything by Melina Marchetta
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
“He’s wrong–high school isn’t a pyramid with all the power clustered in a chosen few at the top–it’s more of a movie theater with twenty-two screens showing simultaneously. The love story in theater three doesn’t care what happens on the football field in theater twelve. Actors and audiences overlap on the screen in the hallways, but there’s a place for everyone.” – Tiffany Schmidt, Bright Before Sunrise
“I’m not sure where it will lead, but this time I understand that it’s not where I end up that matters, but how I get there.” – Len Vlahos, The Scar Boys
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: Falling For Her Finance by Cindi Marsden (153 pages)
Longest: Take Me On by Katie McGarry (544 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover (not the twist I was expecting at all, but I loved it)
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Tom and Tara Finke from The Piper’s Son
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The relationship between the sisters in The Good Sister
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Finn from Dirty Rowdy Thing by Christina Lauren
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
This might be the most difficult question on this survey! I don’t know. Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy. The Good Sister. Open Road Summer by Emery Lord. Far From You by Tess Sharpe. Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley, A Death-Struck Year by Makiia Lucier, Tease by Amanda Maciel, The Tyrant’s Daughter by J.C. Carleson.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
I feel like I’ve stayed away from the soul-crushing books this year, but I guess Me Since You by Laura Wiess
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Secret Side of Empty by Maria E. Andreu (at society, not at the book)
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I am so embarrassed to say that I don’t think I discovered any new blogs in 2014. I had a hard enough time keeping up with my old blogs! I would love to discover new bloggers though so if you’re reading this and think we’re into the same types of books or even if you think we’re not leave me a comment and I’l check out your blog
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally
One Past Midnight by Jessica Shirvington
What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Don’t Call Me Baby by Gwen Heasley
Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard
Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
It was cool and completely unexpected to be blurbed for Emery Lord’s new book.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Where Are All the Good Independent Bookstores? I wish this one had some more discussion.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I don’t know! Based on my last answer it’s not a store. I love that the Kindle now tells me how much longer I have to read a book. It’s like I race to finish faster than the Kindle thinks I will. Kind of like trying to beat the time my GPS says it will take me to get somewhere. (Neither of these behaviors are healthy.)
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I wanted to read fewer books in 2014 than I did in 2013 and I did that so YAY! I also wanted to read a book by Lauren Oliver and I didn’t so BOO!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
The only two books I have left on my “Eagerly Anticipated 2014″ shelf on Goodreads are Guy in Real Life and Wild, neither of which I’m particularly excited for any more. So that Lauren Oliver book I’ve been meaning to get to?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Right Side of Wrong by Jenn Marie Thorne
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Find a better balance. I feel like I go on reading binges and then don’t read at all. Or I blog a lot or don’t blog at all. I want the elusive balance.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
One Year Ago: My Worst Books of 2013